An LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto is a church that welcomes a diversity of people. We are intentionally open to people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender. Unitarian Universalists actively honor the worth and dignity of all people. You are welcome in our community!
The Unitarian Universalist Association developed the Welcoming Congregation program for congregations to use to educate themselves about GLBT issues and barriers to being truly welcoming. We have been affirmed as a Welcoming Congregation. The Welcoming Congregation Task Force creates and supports programs at UUCPA to increase awareness and support of the Welcoming Congregation commitment.
We Stand on the Side of Love. All couples can celebrate their love with dignity and joy.
Congregations who publicly and successfully welcome bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people have the following qualities:
- Includes and address the needs of b/g/l/t persons at every level of congregational life—in worship, in programs, in social occasions, and in rites of passage—welcoming not only their presence, but the gifts and particularities of their lives as well.
- Assumes the presence of b/g/l/t people and celebrates this diversity by having inclusive language and content in their worship.
- Fully incorporates the experiences of b/g/l/t persons throughout all programs, including religious education.
- Includes an affirmation and nondiscrimination clause in our by-laws and other official documents affecting all dimensions of congregational life, including membership, hiring practices, and the calling of religious professionals.
- Engages in outreach into the b/g/l/t community in its advertising and by actively supporting b/g/l/t affirmative groups.
- Offers congregational and ministerial support for wedding, union and memorial services for b/g/l/t persons, and for celebrations of all families.
- Celebrates the lives of all people and welcomes same-sex couples, recognizing their committed relationships, and equally affirms displays of caring and affections without regard to sexual orientation.
- Seeks to nurture ongoing dialogue between bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender, and heterosexual persons and to create deeper trust and sharing.
- Encourages the presence of a chapter of Interweave.
- Affirms and celebrates b/g/l/t issues and history during the church year.
- Attends to legislative developments and works to promote justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.
- Speaks out when the rights of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people are at stake.
- Celebrates the lives of all people and their ways of expressing their love for each other.