Our Elected Leaders
At the Annual Meeting held in April each year, the entire congregation of members will meet, vote on our budget for the upcoming year and elect members of the Congregation to three leadership groups:
- The Board of Trustees
- The Committee on Ministry
- The Leadership/Nominating Committee
These elected bodies work closely with our minister and staff to fulfill our mission and vision. Currently the policy-governance model guides our governing approach.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the legal representative of the church, and is responsible for finances, and for overseeing the work of the church, including operations, programs, and planning.
POWERS OF THE TRUSTEES
Subject to the limitations expressed in Section 10.08, the Board of Trustees shall:
Between meetings of the Church, be the governing body and exercise the power of the Church;
- Have general charge of properties of the Church;
- Subject to the provisions of Article VII, create or terminate such committees, as it deems appropriate, to carry out the work of the Church, including but not limited to Operations, Religious Education, Finance, Programs, and Planning.
- Subject to the provisions of Article VII, employ the ministerial and operations staff as necessary, and define their duties and responsibilities. The relationship between each minister and the Church shall be the continuing responsibility of the Trustees, and they shall consider such relationship not less than annually and communicate such with the ministers.
- Approve affiliation of auxiliary organizations with the Church or terminate the same.
- As necessary, appoint an executive committee of the Board whose function shall include but not be limited to handling appeals and resolving disputes.
The Board can be contacted by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board meetings are held every fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm in the Fireside Room. Meetings are open to all, but the schedule is always tight, so discussions are determined by the published agenda.
Upcoming MeetingsNothing scheduled at this time.
The Board of Trustees has from 9 to 13 members, elected by the congregation. Each member is elected for a 3 year term, with 3 members elected each year. If a member is not able to complete the 3 year term, members may be elected to fulfill the remaining years of the term. The Board may also appoint members to fill vacancies until the next Annual Meeting. The President of the Board is selected by the Board. The term of office is from May 1 to April 30.
Board Officers and Portfolios
ARTICLE IX—OFFICERS OF THE CHURCH
Following the annual meeting of the congregation on April 19, 2015 the newly elected board met to elect officers. These elections are effective from May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2017.
The Committee on Ministry
The minister and the Committee on Ministry assess the health of our ministries. The Committee also mediates conflict within the congregation. The six lay members serve staggered three-year terms. The minister is an ex-officio member.
The Executive Team
The minister and the office administrator make up the Executive Team which is responsible for the Congregation’s day-to-day operations. The Team creates committees and recruits volunteers to lead many areas of congregational life
The Leadership/Nominating Committee
The Committee nominates individuals for election to the Board of Trustees, the Committee on Ministry, and the Leadership/Nominating Committee itself. It also nurtures healthy, sustainable leadership for our congregation through workshops, a mentoring program, and online resources. Six congregants serve staggered two-year terms, with three new members each year.
Congregants join and work together on many committees and ministries. There are opportunities for you to develop your gifts, make friends, and serve our community.
Here is a non-exhaustive sampling:
- Building, Grounds Committee– Oversees maintenance, repair, and renovations of the facility including development of an annual maintenance plan, landscape planning, and maintenance of grounds
- Adult Religious Eduction Committee – Offers classes for adults of all ages throughout the year.
- Canvass Team – Coordinates our annual Fundraising Drive
- Children and Youth Religious Education Committee – Assists and promotes the RE program.
- Music Committee – The Adult Choir, Kids’ Choir, and talented members with musical skills regularly contribute to our Sunday morning services
- Finance Committee – Recommend financial policies and practices for the congregation
- Green Sanctuary Committee – Engages congregants in issues of environmental concern.
- Library Committee – Manages the church library.
- Membership and Growth Committee – Coordinates our ministry of welcoming newcomers and visitors
- Music Committee – Plans and implements activities that support our Music Program.
- Pastoral Associates – Comforts and connects with congregants in times of great joy and sorrow
- Religious Education Teams (teachers, assistants) – Implements UUCPA’s Religious Education for young people of all ages throughout the year.
- Ushers – Distribute Orders of Service on Sunday mornings and collect the offering
- Web Committee – Supports the website, improves our use of technology, maintains the congregational archives
- Worship Associates – trained lay leaders and assistants of our Sunday morning worship services