Peace, Justice, and Sustainability
Unitarian Universalism is a justice-centered religion. We continue our tradition of conscience and action guided by our Action Council.
UUCPA Action Council
- The mission of the UUCPA Action Council is to empower the congregation to take action for social and environmental justice in the larger community, in accordance with our Unitarian Universalist principles and our congregational commitment to transforming ourselves, each other, and the world.
We Stand for Equality
- The congregation voted to support Marriage Equality and worked to defeat the Knight initiative in 1999.
- We have been affirmed as a Welcoming Congregation by the UUA.
- We vigorously opposed Proposition 8 in 2008, which would eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. We continue to monitor its passage through the courts.
Peace – Conscience and Dialogue
- After vigorous and respectful consideration of the diverse issues, the congregation voted on February 2, 2003 to oppose the Iraq war.
- We periodically present classes on Non-Violent Communication.
- Our congregation helped spearhead the creation of the Opportunity Center and Stevenson House, affordable housing for homeless and seniors.
- UUCPA Choir Concerts in recent years have benefited the Opportunity Center, and the Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Bodhi Tree Concerts bring
- Our Local Organizing Committee of Peninsula Interfaith Action is working now for affordable housing and health care.
- Join our Community Outreach Ministries to directly help people outside our church walls.
- UUCPA is accredited by the UUA as a Green Sanctuary. We have made significant progress towards improving our buildings and purchases for sustainability. We recently added solar panels to our roofs to significantly reduce our energy bills, and an electric car charging station.
- The UU Legislative Ministry of California is working on health care as well as marriage equality and water democracy
- Our vision is of achieving an open and accountable government that is responsive to the needs of all Californians. The short term goal is passing the California DISCLOSE Act for improved disclosure on sponsors for political ads. We support the California Clean Money Campaign.